Thursday, July 14, 2011

Make It Personal, Not Just Busniness



There is a simple equation to a fruitful and thriving country.

People + education = prosperity.

The original design of the Philippine public education system is a result of America’s forceful implementation of their democratic practices to “eventually allow the majority to participate in political exercises,” (Apilado). In the short article, “A History of Paradox: Some Notes on Philippine Public Education in the 20th Century,” Digna Apilado informs that the oligarchy wanted to replicate the American system mostly to have prestige but above all, they would be the “primary beneficiaries.” How, exactly?

It dawned on me one day that the entire purpose of education is to serve the government. And we thought it was for our own benefits. Think about it. We are only educated so that we can get high paying jobs, so that we can pay more taxes, which is then only spent by government officials for their own profits.

The whole system is a conspiracy.

Apilado later expands that the education system in 1925 was “inimical” because it actually took talented boy and girls away from manual labor and industrial work. Apparently, it also gave false hopes to the youth for non-manual jobs. As a result, the Monroe Commission proposed to limit the amount of secondary schools and to create four types of high schools. The results of the the public school system brought on positive outcomes—high literacy rates, better living standards, public health, and more political participation than expected. I guess we did great, but apparently to their benefit.

The movie, “Amigo,” directed by John Sayles reminded me of how the Americans slowly influenced the Filipino government system by forcing the barrio to vote for their next captain. Democracy itself is not the problem; it is the way that the Americans introduced it to the Filipinos that disturbs me. To this day, our government mirrors the government system of the United States. This echoes my point of how Filipinos strive to be Americans beyond the color of their skin. Santiago Bose’s childhood memory article, “Baguio Graffiti,” tells of the time when all he did as a child and growing up as a teenager is look like the American stars he always read and heard about. However, that all came crashing down when American MPs and guard dogs harassed them for keeping their car fog lights on. It was then that they realized how Americans never thought of them as their equal—they were outsiders, always the “little brown interlopers, never anything more than second class.”

During my “U.S. Policy in the Philippines” class, Professor Jose told us that only four schools in the Philippines are recognized in America: University of the Philippines, Ateneo de Manila, University of Santo Tomas and De la Salle. The fact is, if you’re not from one these four universities, your degree or abilities are considered incompetent. My director pointed out that the Americans themselves were the ones that designed our education system, so why are most of our schools considered incompetent? The professor said that they are trying to change the system now so that it can be accepted in the states. I’m sure that this is only one of the many ways that the American government made sure they would always end up on top, and we on the bottom.

Sadly, the Philippines can never know the sweet taste of prosperity. Once educated, most seek to go abroad instead of using their talents to serve their own country. The Commission of Filipinos Abroad manager informed us that up to 80 thousand Filipinos go abroad every year; one million go abroad for labor purposes in the states but mostly in Saudi Arabia. The educated are making educated decisions to find better life outside their own homeland. I don’t blame them. I, myself, am one of the few who made it to the states in pursuit of a better life. But this is exactly the reason why my country, the Philippines, will never be successful— always corrupt and dependent on another power. It is because everyone leaves the first chance they get. Bienvenido Lumbera, author of, “From Colonizer to Liberator: How U.S. Colonialism Succeeded in Reinventing Itself After the Pacific War,” wrote: After I graduated as a literature major from University of Santo Tomas, my one consuming dream was to go to the U.S. for further studies.

Why don’t we stay instead and further our studies here? Why don’t we use our awesome skills to innovate our own country? Why don’t we use our naturally hard-working personalities to help lift this “2nd class” nation and make it one of first class people?

It’s been exactly 3 weeks since I’ve stayed here in the Philippines but everyday brings me different experiences and different people to learn from. Speaking to the locals is when I get to really hear the impact of the lack of education here.

Alcile, a beautiful girl, only 17 years of age, is already supporting her family back in the province of Bohol by taking care of an infant here in Manila and running errands for an entire family. The time I found myself alone with her, I told her that there was something better out there but that she had to further her education first. She didn’t even believe in the potential that she had within herself. It crushed my heart when I heard her say that she never even thought beyond what she was doing now. It’s because no one ever told her that she can do better, that she can be better. Everyone decided that she had no hope just because she came from a small town.

What’s worse is that American kids take for granted the very thing that most children treasure from other countries outside the U.S. I think I’ve always known the value of education even before I came to America. When I was in high school, my mom would ground me from school for days, even up to a week, depending on the severity of the situation. She learned over the years that taking my phone or television away would not be enough to correct my action; she would have to take away the very thing that I valued most in order for me to stay on course again. It worked. My classmates were jealous of my punishment but there I was, trying to catch up on a week’s worth of missed assignments while everyone moved on to the next topic.

The underlying issue is how education has become business-minded instead of people-minded. Let’s stop the shallow reasons why we put ourselves to school and start thinking about the bigger picture. And for those who still haven’t figured out what that is, it’s simply this: educating each and every child in all corners of the world and later, utilize their abilities to make their own country thrive. It will seem hopeless in the beginning but just as a caterpillar will one day turn into a butterfly, so will the Philippines turn into a prosperous country.

It starts with changing one person’s life. For only $100.00 per year, we can take this child off the streets and send him to school—give him a chance in life like you and I have. When I think about the things I spent my last $100.00 on, I’m ashamed of how much farther it could have gone. It’s too easy to get caught up in the moment, always converting from Peso to Dollar when in reality there are many who struggle to get by with under $1.00 a day.

The change starts with a choice. Let's make education personal for each children who deserves it.






1 comment:

  1. First of all, I really liked your opening quote and your photos. You have a wonderful writing style. Do you think thr Philippines can ever truly propsper? You wrote, "Sadly the Philippines can never know the sweet taste of prosperity." However, you also stated, "It will seem hopeless in the beginning but just as a caterpillar will one day turn into a butterfly, so will the Philippines turn into a prosperous country."

    -Leah-

    "The whole system is a conspiracy" is interesting however needs further elaboration. I'm trying to make a connection with one of your photos;what is the significance of the "brown and white" photo? How is it related to your entry? What does the "sweet taste of prosperity" look like? Are you referring to economic prosperity? What is the meaning of corrupt and how does it compare with the corruption in the U.S. when you state that "the Philippines, will never be successful— always corrupt"

    -Third-

    ReplyDelete